WordsforWords

Words for Words

My name is Marina. I was born on a Friday of a beautiful day of March. The year was 1991 and the place was the idyllic Rio de Janeiro.Ok, enough with the David Copperfield crap. Although I actually love that book (I would marry Charles Dickens if I had a time machine). I've been reading all my life, honestly I don't know how to do anything else. The prove is that I actually work with books now that i'm a full grown woman of 22 years old! I'm a critic analyst for a brazilian publisher and if you have never heard of this profession...shame on you! Every editor needs a critic analyst. Basically i'm going to use this blog as tool to A) Work on my english!(I can read just fine, but writing is another Hell Level for me. Don't get me wrong, i love the language, i'm graduating on it!) B) Have some kind of control over what i'm reading (out of work) and my thoughts on it. If you want to become a stalker (what would leve me scared and flattered at the same time) here is where you can find me. E-mail marina.blogmvl@gmail.com Blogger http://www.minhavidaporumlivro.com.br Facebook https://www.facebook.com/Marina.blogmvl

How to Read a Book: The Classic Guide to Intelligent Reading
Mortimer J. Adler, Charles Van Doren
Progress: 154/426 pages

Oh no...

Dark Witch - Nora Roberts

Well, as a Nora Roberts fan, this is going to be really painful to write…

When I found out that the new work of one of my favorite authors of all time was a trilogy placed in the magic green mountains of of Erin (Ireland), I was sooo excited! My favorite trilogy by Nora is “Gallaghers of Ardmore” where I first met the amazing Ireland setting, and those who know Nora’s work can tell that she have a talent for portraying scenarios. Obviously I was anxious to get my hands on “Dark Witch”.  But the Nora let me down…again. Lately I’ve been quite disappointed by Robert’s novels. Indeed i loved the setting,  I’ve an obsession for Ireland that can’t be cured. I love that country to bits and I don’t think any modern author can fully describe Ireland’s geography, culture and people like Nora Roberts. The magical environment created by the author is tangible and genuine. However, the fantasy plot was deeply tiring, with no dynamic and fairly repetitive.

About the heroine, Iona, I don’t believe the author gives enough information on Iona’s past and background. We, the readers, know close to nothing about the protagonist history, family, past relationships. Nada.  I'm not even sure of how old she is. Iona is an onedimensional character as well as the love interest Boyle, the horse breeder. The relationship  between Iona and Boyle (the Main Characters) was well-knit but the romance lack chemistry. I was waiting for a “destiny” love story, starcrossed lovers…and the author delivered a run of the mill romance. Guess I’ll have to wait for Brenna and Fin’s story, both support characters have more depth and intense moments than Iona/Boyle. I was definitely frustrated by the romance in this book and it was a big issue to me, ‘cause when It comes to Nora Roberts I have the highest standards.

I miss the  spark Nora’s older novels used to have. I miss the powerful, intense books of Nora’s early carreer. At this point, I can’t help to think: What happened? Is she writing “too much”? Maybe Nora should take a long vacation. And I say this with love and respect, because I’ve been reading her novels since I was a rebel teenager.

I still believe in you, Nora! Hoping that the second book in the trilogy exceeds the first one.